St. Boniface Parish 150th Anniversary Celebration
Kick-Off Celebration/Parish Picnic

Picture
St. Boniface officially kicked off their sesquicentennial celebration during the annual Parish Picnic held Saturday, June 19, 2010.  It was a perfect day to celebrate the beginning of a nearly year long celebration for the Parish.   Our Parish was named after the great saint and archbishop of German, St. Boniface by the first catholic families to inhabit the Evansville area. 

St. Boniface is actually the second church built in Evansville. The first was located about ½ mile away and was named St. Joseph.  As the legend is told, that Church caught fire during a Corpus Christi Celebration prior to 1860.  The present Church was dedicated in December 1860.  The Parish Picnic brought back former students, parishioners, religious who served the parish, and family and friends for a day of celebrating our Faith.  Keeping with the German tradition,  St. Louis Express, a German Band from St. Louis provided the entertainment all evening.  The famous meal served in the Gym featured traditional German cuisine, such as homemade German potato salad, sauerkraut and sausage and a collection of homemade desserts.   

One of the highlights of the kick-off celebration was the vast collection of pictures that were on display in the halls of the old School.  Returning students were asked to find their 8th grade graduation picture and sign their picture.  The class with the most returning students was recognized at the close of the picnic.  The class of 1956 was award the honor of most returning students and the class of 1986 highest percentage of returning students.  Returning students, teachers, family members showed their friends class pictures and enjoy identify faces of old friends now gone or moved away.  The evening concluded around mid-night as everyone said goodbye.  Old friendships strengthened, new pictures taken and a renew affection to an old County Parish that has provided so much to so many for over 150 long faith filled years.  

Submitted by Deacon Steve Pautler

Picture
Picture
Picture
Picture
Picture
Picture